The formal registration occurs three times throughout the academic year including Fall , Spring, and Summer. All SEAS students during the fall and spring term must complete an Undergraduate Advising Form and have it approved by their primary academic advisor prior to registering for courses. SEAS student planning to Study Abroad in the subsequent term must complete the Undergraduate Advising Form for Study Abroad with their Faculty Advisor. For first year students your Primary Advisor is your Professional Advisor. For all other students, including sophomores, juniors, seniors, and transfer students your Primary Advisor is your Faculty Advisor.

Academic Deadlines and Calendars

Each semester it is important to review all academic deadlines via the Academic Calendar and Fall/Spring Registration Schedule. Additionally, seniors preparing to graduate should review the deadlines available on the Office of the Registrar’s Application Deadlines and Online Graduation Application Instruction webpages.

How to Register and Find Classes

Online registration via GWeb is available following the Fall/Spring Registration Schedule. In order to see check what classes are available for a given term students should use Schedule of Classes and can review the basics on How to Register located on the Office of the Registrar’s webpage.

Program Requirements and Prerequisites

A comprehensive list of undergraduate programs including majors and minors is available via the University Bulletin. The University Bulletin outlines program requirements as well as pre/co -requisites for specific courses and important university (or school-specific) regulations.

Additionally, DegreeMap is a tool that allows students to track degree progress as well as see how their courses would map to different majors and majors via the “What If” feature.  Also, as a SEAS students your home department has developed a curriculum sheet that should be used to track and verify your degree progress in addition to DegreeMap. All of these tools should be used with regular consultation with your primary academic advisor.

Registration Transaction Forms

At times your registration may require an additional form to process this transaction this could include but not limited to department/instructor permission, closed classes, repeat class, or time conflict. Depending on the reason these transactions would require the use of a Registration Transaction Form (classic) or Registration Transaction Form-EZ. For more information about how and when to use these forms, visit the Office of the Registrar.

Consortium Registration

Students registering for a course via the consortium agreement must review the process, deadlines, and required forms via the Office of the Registrar - Consortium webpage. Note, this process is different than general registration and students should give themselves a minimum of two weeks prior to the first day of classes to complete the necessary forms.

Troubleshooting Registration Issues

In case there are issues arise during registration, it is important to take the following steps when trouble-shooting:

  1. Check all prerequisites and restrictions for the course
  2. Check if the class is still open in GWeb
  3. Check if alternative sections or courses could work in GWeb
  4. Submit a Registration Transaction Form (if applicable)
  5. Add your to the waitlist (if available)
  6. Contact the respective department and academic advisor about the issue

First Year Student Fall Registration

All first time, full time students admitted to SEAS for the Fall will participate in a pre-registration process with their Professional Advisor that will register them for their first term at GW. More details of this process will be available via GW 101 and from the SEAS Undergraduate Team.