The George Washington University Professional Research Experience Program (GWU-PREP)
The George Washington University (GW) has partnered with the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) to grow the national scientific workforce.
The GWU-PREP is a collaboration with GWU in Washington, DC and the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) campus in Gaithersburg, Maryland. GWU-PREP provides research opportunities at NIST to students, faculty, research staff, and postdoctoral researchers at GW as well as researchers at SURA-affiliated universities.
GWU-PREP provides financial assistance to eligible students, staff, postdoctoral researchers and faculty including a monthly stipend or hourly wage. For graduate students, this can also include full tuition reimbursement.
PREP researchers can be:
- Undergraduate students who work part-time and/or summers at NIST
- Masters and PhD students, and postdoctoral scholars who collaborate with NIST and GWU scientists on research projects
- GW faculty who wish to collaborate closely with NIST scientists
- Domestic or international research staff, senior scientists, and sabbatical visitors who are interested in working closely with GW or NIST scientists
- Bachelor’s and masters degree holders who work with NIST to prepare for positions in industry or a PhD program
If you are interested in participating in the PREP program, please complete the interest form.
Undergraduate and graduate students must be in good academic standing, enrolled full-time, and have a GWU faculty mentor. For assistance identifying a GWU faculty mentor, please reach out to Professor Can Korman ([email protected]).
If you are a faculty member who would like to collaborate with NIST through the PREP program, please identify a potential NIST sponsor and send them an email introducing yourself and your research, and copy Professor David Broniatowski ([email protected]). You may also contact Prof. Broniatowski for assistance in reaching out to potential sponsors.
Main Contact: Prof. David A. Broniatowski, [email protected]
For more information about the types of research conducted at NIST, visit NIST’s Projects/Programs listing and select the Gaithersburg Campus. If you are already part of the NIST PREP program, you can find additional information on NIST PREP Information (only accessible with a NetId & Password).