Transferring Credit

Transfer credits can be earned by taking classes at other colleges or universities, or through recognized tests such as AP, and accepted for credit by GW. Transfer credits earned before starting beginning your degree program at GW are considered pre-matriculation while those taken during your time at GW but at another institution are considered post-matriculation. One important item to note is that grades do not transfer and that accept credits will appear on your transcript with a notation of “TR”.

Pre-Matriculation Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, Dual Enrollment, and Transfer Credit

  • Credits earned at other institutions of higher education, or credit earned by examination (AP, IB) prior to enrollment at GW, is considered Pre-Matriculation.
  • Students are responsible for sending transcripts from all previous institutions to the Office of the Registrar and all scores on AP, IB, or A-Level exams to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for processing.
  • Undergraduate credit is awarded for scores of at least 4 - 5 on most AP exams. For a complete list of accepted scores, please see the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Bring Credit to GW.
  • Neither AP, IB, nor any other test will exempt a student from taking UW1020 or WID courses. AP/IB/credit can apply toward the General Education Curriculum if the course is equivalent to an approved course.
  • Students may obtain a maximum of 24 hours of credit from AP and/or IB, combined.
  • External undergraduate transfer students will receive a Transfer Credit Worksheet as part of the admissions process. See the university bulletin section on Assignment of Transfer Credit of Transfer Students for more information.

Taking Courses at Another Institution

Once a student has matriculated at GW, they may take courses at other institutions (e.g., over the summer), under these guidelines:

  • GW will accept a maximum of 9 transfer credits (or 3 courses to a maximum of 12 credits total) from institutions away from GW, outside of GW Office of Study Abroad or via the Consortium.
  • Students must submit a Transfer Credit Approval Form, along with a description of the course, to the appropriate GW department for approval (e.g. math, sociology). After receiving departmental approval, students must bring the petition to the SEAS Office of Student Services Advising located in Science and Engineering Hall, Suite 2500.
  • The Transfer Credit Approval Form is now used for both U.S. and foreign institutions with the exception of programs within the defined GW Study Abroad category or Consortium.
  • Grades of at least “C-” must be earned for credit to be assigned.
  • Students should be aware of residence requirements when considering taking courses elsewhere.
  • Students may take courses at other institutions over the summer without the need to register for Continuous Enrollment, unless in their last term.
  • Credits earned through the Office of Study Abroad and through the Consortium are excluded from the 9 transfer credit rule.
  • Students should be aware that some universities are on a different academic calendar, which may affect the transfer of credits. For example, credit for a course taken at a school which operates on a quarter system will only count for two-thirds of its numerical value when transferred to GW, which operates on a semester system.

How do I get my transfer credit posted?

  • Students are responsible for having an official transcript of classes attempted outside of GW sent directly to the Office of the Registrar.
  • In the case of international transcripts that are not via an approved program via the GW Office of Study Abroad, students will need to have their transcripts evaluated by an educational evaluation service before sending to the Office of the Registrar.
  • The Office of the Registrar is ultimately responsible for the evaluation and assignment of all transfer credits.

Study Abroad Credit

Students participating in an approved program that is part of the GW Office for Study Abroad must have credits pre-approved in GW CATS system and once successfully completed will be posted to the student’s record by the Office of Study Abroad once the transcript is received from the international institution. Students who are studying away but not through the GW Office for Study Abroad must follow the process outlined above utilizing the Transfer Credit Approval Form. Visit the following webpage for more information about Study Abroad vs. Study Away.

Consortium Credit

The Washington Metropolitan Area Consortium of Universities is a cooperative arrangement in post-secondary education that is designed to permit the sharing of academic resources by member institutions and to offer qualified students the opportunity to enroll at other institutions for courses not available on their own campus. Consortium registration is not guaranteed – courses may be closed, or subject to approval from the Dean/department at the visited institution. To learn more about the Consortium process and procedures visit the GW Office of the Registrar Consortium webpage.