Click the links below if you’re looking for the FAQ pages for GW’s other online master’s engineering programs:
- Master of Engineering in climate change engineering & policy
- Master of Engineering in cybersecurity policy and compliance
Engineering Management and Systems Engineering
This FAQ page is for the Master of Science in Engineering Management and Master of Science in Systems Engineering programs.
Q: I don’t meet the minimum mathematics requirement or have a degree in a related field. Can I still apply to the program?
Applicants who don’t meet the necessary mathematics requirement can be required to enroll in a 13th course, EMSE 4197 Special Topics: Quantitative Methods in Engineering Management.
Q: What are the upcoming term start dates?
Students can begin the program of study during one of five sessions each year:
- Early January to mid-March (Spring 1)
- Mid-March to late May (Spring 2)
- Mid-June to mid-July (Summer)*
- Mid-August to mid-October (Fall 1)
- Mid-October to late December (Fall 2)
*This is an accelerated, 5-week session.
A summer term is offered for those who must complete the mathematics prerequisite course.
Q: How many courses/credit hours are required to complete the Master of Science degree program?
Q: How many courses can I complete at a time?
Q: Do courses need to be taken in a certain order?
Q: How much time should I expect to spend doing coursework each week?
Q: How quickly do students typically complete the programs?
Q: Can I complete the program part-time?
Q: Will I need to log in at certain times of day? Or a certain number of times each week?
Q: Is there a minimum GPA requirement to complete the program?
Q: How quickly can I expect faculty members to reply to my questions?
Q: What online learning platform do you use?
Q: Who do I contact if I encounter a technical issue?
- Direct questions about GW systems (GWID, Blackboard, email) to firstname.lastname@example.org, and/or submit a tech service request.
- Direct questions about using the examination testing platform Remote Proctor Now to Software Secure at http://clientportal.softwaresecure.com.
- Direct questions about class access (WebEx), Blackboard files (recordings), and exam access to the technician whose contact information is listed on the syllabus for each course.
Q: Do students ever need to come to campus?
Q: What is your leave of absence policy?
To learn more about GW’s online Master of Science in engineering programs and download a free brochure, fill out the fields below. If you have any additional questions, please call (877) 221-9868 to speak to an admissions counselor.